- Do not use the same password for all your accounts.
- Change your passwords frequently.
- Avoid common passwords like "Password" or "qwerty".
- Do not create passwords that contain readily known things that are unique to you such as your birthdate or your spouse's name.
- Use a mix of upper and lowercase letters, numbers, symbols and spaces.
- Use up to date operating systems; and keep your software patches current on your home computers and mobile devices.
- Use a security suite from a reputable vendor with antivirus and personal firewall capabilities.
- Use the encryption on your wireless home network.
- Use the screen lock on your mobile devices.
- Avoid providing too much personal information on social networking sites.